Monday, September 7, 2009

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man



Okay, so, I didn't read "Ultimatum" (I plan to buy the TPB eventually) and I haven't been able to get my hands on Ultimate Spider-Man: Requiem #2, but I did just pick up the first two issues of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man.

I read Ultimate Spider-Man from about issue 20 to its recent "end". For the most part, it was a highly enjoyable blend of superheroism and teenage angst (I say "for the most part" because, well... Bendis did the clone stuff too...). Now, the new series starts off at issue 1 and it's six months after Magneto's tidal wave attack (which devastated New York and killed many of the heroes). Peter is dating Gwen instead of Mary Jane, the Daily Bugle is out of business (so Spider-Man has to work in fast food, which is hilarious), and things in general are a bit topsy-turvy.

Now, I must admit that I'm very interested and want to see how the series develops. I think the "jump" certainly allows for some accelerated story-telling, but....
While I'm not a professional writer, I do enjoy the craft of writing. Jumping ahead six months is typicaly laziness, I think. It's an attempt to move the story along without actually having to develop the interim stuff.

Still, I look forward to the series (though the re-numbering is dumb, as it usually is in the comics industry). Bendis is still writing fantastically, and even though I'm not sure if I can really like Lafuente's art style, it does bring a new flavor.

No comments: