Friday, January 23, 2009

The Wrestler


Such a great movie. I almost cried at several points. Hell, the trailer almost made me cry.

I’m with Mickey Rourke’s Randy “The Ram” every step of the way. I want nothing but good things to happen to this guy. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way. This is a cat upon whom life just keeps shitting. But that makes him more likeable, and a far more compelling character.

Aronofsky’s style is simplified and brilliant. The music is perfectly chosen and placed. The writing is superb all the way. But the acting… Man, the acting…

Mickey Rourke is amazing. There’s no better word to describe him. I loved him in “Sin City”, but damn… If he doesn’t walk away with the Oscar, there should be riots.

Marisa Tomei is excellent as well. She should definitely get an Oscar, too.

I hope everyone sees this movie. While I don’t think it’s better than “The Dark Knight”, I do think that it’s the movie that should win Best Picture over all of the other nominees (fuck “Slumdog”!).

No comments: